turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cwa124
Returning Member

Payment Plan Option Missing

According to the instructions from TurboTax support at this link  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840416-can-i-set-up-a-payment-plan-for-my-taxes    once you get to the "how would you like to file your taxes" there is supposed to be an option to set up a payment plan if you owe money.  I followed the instructions and no option appeared.  Where do I find this option?  Or is it no longer available in 2017 TurboTax Deluxe software?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

This option is still available for 2017. You should see "I want to request an installment plan" as an option when you go through the File screens if you have a federal balance due. (It doesn't matter which version of TurboTax you are using.) Please click the ".png" file below to see how this screen looks in TurboTax Online. 

If you only owe taxes to your state, you won't be able to set up an installment plan through TurboTax. Try contacting your state Department of Revenue to make arrangements if you cannot pay the balance in full. 

You can also apply for an agreement online directly with the IRS.  I actually recommend you follow this route instead because the fees the IRS charges to set up an agreement are less with this method and you get an immediate response on your application.  You can file your return as normal through TurboTax and then instead of making a payment, you will tell the program you are going to pay by check and then ignore the voucher that prints out (or you can make a partial payment with it).  Then, go to the link below and file for an installment agreement with the IRS.

i would like a check 

ww1planes

So my wife and I are filling together and we noticed we owe state taxes back for Hawaii because her job didn't take out enough taxes apparently and when I chose to send the payment through a check, it said to mail it by july 20. We haven't finished filing completely yet but we can go through the IRS website and make payment plans instead? Do we have to be filed completely before going through the irs and the process of that?

ww1planes

My wife and I have not finished filing completely yet but says we owe the state back taxes because it seems her job was not taking the right amount out of her pay. We can't pay the full amount and so all we need to do is contact the State Dept of Revenue as you have said?

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS is a separate entity from the State of Hawaii. The state of Hawaii does have its own installment plan arrangement. See the application in the link below:

Hawaii Installment Agreement

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ww1planes

OK thank you. Where do I submit the form? On my turbotax or talk to someone through the state?

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Use the link above to submit the form. It must be submitted directly to the state taxing authority. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fionamber

I cant set up a plan online even though I dont owe back tax. I called and after being on hold for two hours, I was told to set up a plan online and then the guy hung up on me.

@fionamber 

This is a five-year-old discussion and I don’t know what kind of payment plan you are talking about. 

If you owe federal taxes and can’t pay the balance, you can request an installment payment  plan from the IRS by applying directly online at the IRS website.  There is a nonrefundable application fee, but you will usually get your approval immediately. TurboTax may have removed the option to request a payment plan from inside TurboTax. Even if the option is available, you should still use the direct IRS website, because applying for a IRS payment plan through a third-party has higher application fees, and takes longer to get approved.

If you are requesting a payment plan to pay your TurboTax fees, I am not aware that there are any regular such arrangements. You may be able to make special arrangements by talking to customer support, but they are not required to honor your request. When you agreed to use the program, you agreed to pay the fees, and if you couldn’t pay the TurboTax fees, you had the option of using a different tax preparation method.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies