Visitor II

Passive rental loss for Canadian investor

I have a married couple client who live in Canada.  I have been using TurboTax to file his tax returns for him since 2010.  He has a condo in Hawaii.  He rents it out and he also lives there on occasion.  He has a rental property company take care of it for him.  I checked off the boxes to state that he is not a real estate professional (he is actually a lawyer).  They only file the 1040 for only the rental property in Hawaii and that is there only tie in with the USA for tax reporting.

I just noticed that he does not have any passive loss carry forwards show up on his TurboTax summary in the Schedule E.  He has made a loss every year since 2010 until now.  I looked at copies of his past 1040's and it shows a full loss on the first page of the 1040 (it is a negative number in the Line 17) when there should be a zero (if the loss carryforwards worked properly). 

Is there something that I did not click off on to let TurboTax know that his losses should be passive and NOT active losses?  What do I need to do now to fix all his losses that appear on his 1040 to be passive losses?

Thank you in advance for your help everyone.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.