turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ineedhelp

Manual update issues

I have installed Turbo Tax 2014, and I would like to run a manual update for it. I can run the software just fine, but when I try to manually update it, the manual update seems to think I don't have 2014 installed. 

I would imagine that this was likely due to a change in how Turbo Tax installs to the registry, which could likely have to do with windows 10, which I am currently using. 

Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Manual update issues

TurboTax only supports their software for the current tax year and three years back.  Don't know if they've pulled the 2014 updates yet, as I would not expect that to occur until Oct of 2018. But check the link at https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901192-manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-deluxe... for the 2014 updates and see if they're available for manual download and installation.

lmroberts36
Returning Member

Manual update issues

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but I can't find the way to post otherwise.

My problem is that the updater in TT version 2018, will download all updates but will not install all of them. I have tried just about everything to resolve the issue. That is, Repair, uninstall and reinstall, changed default browser, installed .net 3.5, and still no joy. So I have been manually installing the updates, but they don't show up in the list of updates installed.

My question is, do the manual update files contain program updates and tax form updates?

Thanks,

Larry

Carl
Level 15

Manual update issues

@lmroberts36 the updates are absolutely necessary and critical. They contain all the "fixes" to problems and issues that were identified with the program after it's initial release. Without the updates, chances are very close to 100%, depending on the complexity of your return, that the bottom line results of the return will be wrong. That could mean you're paying to much tax, or not paying enough which will cost you in interest and other underpayment penalties if past the filing deadline.  Even if due a refund, you could be "leaving money on the table". So the updates aren't just necessary, they're required in order to be sure of accuracy.

Have you tried installing on another computer and then installing the updates there? To me at this time, it's evident that it's not a program issue, but an operating system issue for you. If you're trying to install or even update TTX 2014/15 on Win 10, that "could" be an issue since Win 10 wasn't out in 2014. But that doesn't mean it's not possible. (At least, not yet.)

lmroberts36
Returning Member

Manual update issues

This is the latest TurboTax, 2018.

I did install the program on my laptop and everything worked just fine, including the updater. So it's pretty obvious that there is a problem with the OS like you surmise. I will try selective startups to see if I can isolate the problem.

I understand the importance of updating the program. I have been updating using the manual update files, but I'm concerned that only program fixes and things like tax forms are not included in the manual updates. Do you know what is included in the manual updates?

Thanks for your assistance. If I solve the problem I will post back here.

Larry

Carl
Level 15

Manual update issues

Yes, the manual updates are basically the same file downloaded by the automatic setup,..... when it works of course. 🙂

Here's few tidbits that I'm fairly sure you're aware of. But heck, I've been in the computer technology business for 35 years, and yet there are times when even I forget "the basics" and pull a Homer Simpson every once in awhile.

For the manual updates, make sure you exit the main program first.

It may help also if you check task manager and if other things like the updater program are still running in the background, you end task on those also.

Run the manual update as administrator, even though the computer account you're using very well may have admin privileges.

If on Win 10, then in the privacy settings check that you have not disabled "Allow apps to access your notifications" along with "allow apps to access your tasks" and also "Allow" automatic file downloads.

lmroberts36
Returning Member

Manual update issues

Thanks for sticking with me Carl. Yeah, I've been working with these infernal machines since before Windows. Love 'em and hate 'em. 🙂

I will work through what you suggest. I have no problem manually updating periodically and if the update files contain all the "updates" I will probably go with that. It's a little unnerving to not see the updates showing in the list of installed updates, though. A reinstall of Windows 10, ver. 1809 might correct the problem but the grief that might cause is just not worth it.

Thanks,

Larry

lmroberts36
Returning Member

Manual update issues

For the benefit of those dealing with this problem, here's a workaround that seems to work for my situation and allow the updater to function without freezing: Temporarily, quit Malwarebytes (or any other anti-virus/anti-malware program) and turn off the Windows Defender firewall (or any other firewall). Do "Check for Updates" and the updater will complete and either install any available updates or it will report that the program is up to date.

Larry

dgriffis71
Returning Member

Manual update issues

So I ran this - and it says 2019 is not installed?  I purchased 2019 deluxe thru a 3rd party retailer - what are my chances that I got screwed on the program?

I cannot efile because it says I need updates and forms released - forms that the website says are available. 

Every other year, TT would update nearly every time I launched it.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Manual update issues

All CD's you buy over the counter or online *NOT* directly from TurboTax are the same. You can expect when you install it, to have to get updates for it, for all the corrections and updates that will be required in order for your return to be correct.

"Super Carl Level 15"

Please see the below link for instructions:

How do I update my TurboTax CD/Download software program?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Brindles2
Returning Member

Manual update issues

I can't manually update my turbo tax 21

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Manual update issues

So that we can better assist you, can you please provide specific details about the issue you are having with manually updating your software?

For more information, please see Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues

@Brindles2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies