Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmcuevas2
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Taxes owed when claiming income of $136k

If I claim Single and 1 for the entire tax year, and I'm head of household, does it sound correct that I would still

owe over $4k?  I also have a home that I claimed the interest for.  I'm not sure why after never owing taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

It really depends on all your other income you have, but most importantly your actual tax withholding.  You would get a Standard Deduction of $18,000 for filing as Head of Household.  If your mortgage and other itemized deductions are higher than that amount, you would benefit from itemizing on Schedule A.   This link has the federal tax brackets so you can figure out approximately where your income falls. 

Another thing to look at is your withholding from 2017. Many employers have lowered the amount of taxes they are taking from paychecks to better comply with the overall lower tax brackets in 2018.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bees
Level 7

Not enough information to say  but your gross income less the standard deduction amount of 18,000 would leave you in 24% tax bracket for income over 82,000. Depending on your amount withheld over the year from your pay you could still owe at the end of the year.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/tax-brackets.aspx

Did you have state taxes(which are limited this year to 10,000) which includes state income taxes and your real estate taxes and your mortgage interest. that exceed the 18,000 standard deduction? Medical expenses that are over 7.5% of your AGI are also deductible.

There is no longer a personal exemption of 4,050 which reduces the taxable income but there is a family credit(which reduces the tax owed) of 500 per individual. 

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
dmcuevas2
Returning Member

Thank you for your input!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies