turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calculate mileage for back tax revision: How to determine miles for points to or from destination?

I am self-employed and one of my businesses is in home health. From my home office, I drive to clients' homes.  For the past several  years, I kept a notebook log of my miles driven with all gas receipts. In some months, I could put on 1500 or more miles as I can go multiple clients in one day but on a fixed schedule. Unfortunately, before I could file my 2017 taxes, I lost the notebook, so I filed my taxes without putting in the mileage deduction. I just found that notebook, so now I want to amend my taxes for last year. But in doing so, it brings up a question: Do I track miles just going to (but not from) a particular client's home for leaving that home?  How do stops along the way affect mileage? I am also a part-time student, and currently my school is physically located in between regular client stops. Let's say this scenario: 

6:30 a.m. Leave home to go to Client A's home.

7:30 a.m. Arrive at Client A's home. Work with Client A until 11:30 a.m.

11:30 a.m. Leave Client A's house and head to Client B.

12:00 a.m. Arrive at Client B's home. Work with Client B until 2:00 p.m.

2:00 p.m. Leave Client B's home and go to school. The commute takes 30 minutes, to make it for a 3:00 p.m. class.

3:00 p.m. Arrive at school. Class lasts until 4:30 p.m.

4:30 p.m. Leave school and head home for dinner.

5:30 p.m. Leave home and go to Client C's home.

6:00 p.m. Arrive Client C's home and work with Client C until 9:00 p.m.

9:00 p.m. Leave Client C's home and return home.

9:30 p.m. Arrive home.

In this scenario, do I only count the miles when I go from the home office to work, or also when I leave, and how does going to school (which is on the way, between two client's homes) affect mileage?

Note: I have a dedicated home office in its own dedicated room, with its own computer, printer, fax, and a separate room. I have two other side businesses, both of which also require me to drive but not as much as the home health work. I have a separate bedroom, in which I have all my school books.

Lastly, last year I bought Quickbooks for my phone and use that mileage tracking feature, but the new federal tax laws, I think tracking that mileage is not necessary. (I filed an extension anyway because of other issues).

Thanks for reading this long post.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Calculate mileage for back tax revision: How to determine miles for points to or from destination?

Since you have a home office, all the mileage in your example is deductible EXCEPT 2pm, 3pm and 4:30 line items as you are not commuting from office to client or between clients at those times

Thanks. This clarifies things.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies