turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JBJ
Level 3

TransUnion Scored Jump... Equifax Did Too (but by not nearly as much) - Any Thoughts As to Why... and What Happens Next?

Weird thing happen last week. 

My TU score jumped by ~70 points or so (an account that had long been closed fell off my report) + I hit the ~6 month mark on a newly opened credit card. My Equifax score however made a much small leap.

And so I've now got a 71 point difference between the two scores. Anyone ever run into this? And have you eventually seen your scores re-aligned, or does the difference permanently linger? 

Thanks Team! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jlohani
Intuit Alumni

TransUnion Scored Jump... Equifax Did Too (but by not nearly as much) - Any Thoughts As to Why... and What Happens Next?

Whoohoo! Nice jump!!

I went through a "growth spurt" with my score a little over a year ago and can attest that yes, the scores can vary for a while. They'll eventually even out if you stay consistent. My guess is it has to do with the fact that while the bureaus use similar (some may argue, the exact same just differently labeled) factors, the total weight of each factor is different across. 

Check out this article on the Turbo blog, it goes into more detail on this very subject!

https://turbo.intuit.com/blog/credit-score/why-is-my-credit-score-never-the-same-480/

I do mortgage loans and look at Credit Reports almost daily. A 70 point difference means that one of the repositories has not updated the old account that "retired" or has a different algorithm for calculating when an account retires. When I notice a big difference, I examine the report to make sure which account is reported differently. If we have time, I redraw credit in 30 days. It has almost always equalized by then. Patience is a quiet but powerful virtue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies