turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cnwebb31

Paid off auto loan

I was excited to pay off my auto loan because I thought my credit score would jump. Instead it went down due to a drop in accounts & a decreased avg. age of credit. From what I understand, after you pay off an account it's supposed to hang around and influence your credit for 6 to 10 years, but my capital one auto loan went away the day after I paid it off. 

How can I get some recognition from my credit score reporters that I did have that 7 year credit line? Does this line of thinking even make sense ??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Paid off auto loan

An auto loan isn't in the same category as credit cards. Loans are separate so they do not contribute to your "number of accounts."

Paid off auto loan

From what I understand,  the credit score is weighted for existing debt that is in a current payment status.   When you pay off a loan that has been paid on a timely basis,   the debt will disappear and your score will probably go down.    People with a lot of debt who make their payments tend to have higher credit scores than those without debt.    I am retired and no longer have any debt at all.   My score dropped when I paid off my mortgage and car loans even though I have a very large investment portfolio.   This might seem to be a little bit of a bummer,  but good lenders will recognize a honest borrower who has a reasonable debt load and can make the payments.   Don't worry about it.    Most of all,  don't get more debt just to improve your score.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies