turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kjroyce

Bad accounts

I have 4 accounts in collections. Is there any way I can pay them off and get the negative remarks removed from my credit report?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JBJ
Level 3

Bad accounts

While I know no one who has done this, and therefore can't personally vouch, the internets are telling me the following: 

"You can ask the current creditor — either the original creditor or a debt collector — for what’s called a "goodwill deletion.” Write the collector a letter explaining your circumstances and why you would like the debt removed, such as if you’re about to apply for a mortgage. There’s no guarantee your request will be accepted, but there’s no harm in asking. A record of on-time payments since the debt was paid will help your case. Your credit record will still show the late payments leading up to the collection action, but removing the collection itself takes away a source of score damage."

It feels like a bit of a long shot, but if you pay the debt off, you've little to lose by sending them a letter asking for removal. Even if it only works 50% of the time, you'll be in a significantly better position. 

Thoughts? 

tlforbes

Bad accounts

I would suggest contacting them asking them to remove the collections entry BEFORE paying it off. Tell them that you would like to pay it off immediately, but that is contingent on them removing it from your credit report.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies