turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Credit available/balances, how does it work?

So I just got my first credit card and sadly got a little excited and maxed my limit basically. (Close to it at least) well... my limit and available credit was $300 and i now have a balance. Now what i want to know is...if I want to be able to use the card again by paying it off do I have to pay the whole amount monthly or do I only pay part of the balance? And will my available credit go back to $300 or just what i paid back so far? what depicts how much is available if this makes sense? Credit cards and numbers confuse me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Credit available/balances, how does it work?

Take a look at your bill. Most bills break it down. Lets say your minimum payment is $30 on that $300 outstanding balance you owe. Let's further assume for simplicity that the interest rate is 10%. That means you pay $30 a year in interest on an outstanding balance of $300. But it's prorated for the billing period, which is month. So your monthly interest on $300 at 10% a year would be roughly $2.50. So if your minimum payment is $30 the first $2,50 of that payment is interest. The remaining $27.50 reduces your outstanding balance to $272.50. Now, your available credit that you can spend on that card is $27.50.

Whereas if you send in a $200 payment, $2.50 of that payment is interest and the remaining $197.50 pays down your outstanding balance. In this case, you now have $197.50 of credit available for you to spend.

May I suggest you seek out and enroll in something like a basic "managing credit" course in your local area? What I covered above is really basic stuff that I learned in high school back in the 70's. But for over 20 years now, not even colleges offer this basic stuff. It's not like you learn this stuff through osmosis.  Credit can help you if managed correctly. But on the other side of that coin, credit can ruin your life forever if not properly and responsibly managed. No, I'm not inferring you're not responsible. But how can one expect you to manage responsibly if you were never taught how to manage in the first place?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies