Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will my Illinois state taxes get paid?

I filed my federal and Illinois state taxes. I ended up getting over 500 back from my federal and having to pay around 170 to the state. I received my full return and I was wondering when my state taxes will get taken from my bank account?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

When will my Illinois state taxes get paid?

Generally, the funds are withdrawn by the state on the payment date you specified if your return has been accepted and they have begun processing it. Sometimes it may take a couple more days on their end. And if that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day. If you didn't specify a date, April 17th will be the date they withdraw it. 

You won't be penalized as long as your return was filed before April 17th and you chose a date before then for the payment. In the meantime, keep an eye on your bank account – if you still don't see the debit 7-10 days after your return has been accepted and date you specified, contact your state tax agency for an update. All processing of returns, refunds and tax payments are handled by the state and/or IRS only, after they have accepted your return. 

You can choose your state here How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? and that will take you directly to their contact page. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies