turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What form from 2016 jointly-filed return shows individual income?

Hi, appreciate any help on this question.

My wife and I filed jointly for 2016 tax year. 
She's a German citizen with a green card for the US. Her government wants to tax her on our income, though only I had income in 2016. But I have no idea how to verify that for the German government. Is there a form I can request from IRS, or find in my filed return, that shows who made income? We've already sent them a PDF of our return. They said there wasn't anything in it that verified she didn't make income. 
It's 800 Euros they want, so I'm willing to deal with this hassle or it'll never go away.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write.  I did finally have success after a long session with the IRS on the phone: they're mailing a wage/income form for me and my wife on IRS stationery of course so that will suffice for the German government. That info isn't on the standard tax return.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

A joint return does not show individual income. It's "joint".

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get any useful information from this public user-to-user forum, as your question pertains to what is a foreign taxing authority when viewed from the perspective of this forum. I can only suggest you seek the services of a CPA or tax attorney in your local area, and good luck finding one that has the first clue about foreign taxing authorities. If you're close to the Embassy or if there's a German consulate office close by, perhaps they can assist with this.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write.  I did finally have success after a long session with the IRS on the phone: they're mailing a wage/income form for me and my wife on IRS stationery of course so that will suffice for the German government. That info isn't on the standard tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies