turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Extension Rejected - No option to "fix my extension"

Last night (last day to file), I filed a tax extension. I received an email from TurboTax stating my 2017 Federal Personal First Ext. has been rejected. I understand the reason why and want to fix my extension so I can resubmit it. When I log in to try to fix it, "fix my extension" is nowhere to be found despite all the TurboTax documentation saying it should be there and is easy to fix. I have a feeling TurboTax was not properly updated to handle the one-day extension the IRS issued to make the deadline April 18th, so TurboTax recognizes my extension as filed late and will not let me fix it.

I've tried to reach someone live at Intuit, but I can not because I haven't paid to talk to anyone. I am really frustrated, as I think starting a new extension will be recognized as "late" by the IRS. Anyone else have this issue and been able to reach Intuit for resolution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I am having the same problem exactly. However I am able to talk to the expert product support and this guy was also unable to help, though he did try as hard as he could. The feature it broken no ifs ands or buts about it. Intuit PLEASE fix this ASAP!

Hitting ALL the panic buttons..

TaxPayerGuy

TaxPayerGuy - Thank you for sharing what you learned from TurboTax product support! I appreciate it and do hope this issue gets resolved quickly  by Intuit so we do not incur a penalty for failure to file the extension on time when we were on time!

The site has changed now I can edit and fix the extension (typo in my SSN). But I cannot resubmit it.

I get this message instead, even through it's not a new filing. WTH, Intuit fix this!

Sorry, we were unable to process your submission.
Here's why:

You are past the deadline for new filings.

I have the same problem!!  Has anyone received an answer??

I have not tried the workaround yet, but I just found this on the support page: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4465802-why-am-i-unable-to-fix-my-rejected-extension

Note: If you are paying some taxes when filing the extension, and you put in your bank account details, you are required to put in a pay date. You can't put in a date after 4/18/18, and it won't accept a date in the past. So, basically you are screwed. Thanks a lot, TurboTax.

I wonder if I use a competitor's system to "correct" my extension by filing a new one will that register as timely?

boorango

same problem

Not it does not work. I have tried that every day since Friday.

Also they say "before the date of 04/23/18" but the IRS allows up to and including 4/24. Why are they limiting it.

steffie4

I had the same problem exactly. I kept trying and now it is after the 23 deadline!

I never got to submit the fix. I am disappointed beyond words.  This is the first time Intuit support has completely failed me, and I see other people as well.  It's a general problem affecting multiple people and they ignored it. Unlikely that I am going to use Intuit next year as they apparently never plan to fix the ability to resubmit an extension, and did not go to bat with the IRS for us over this either.

I’m in the same boat. This is totally lame.
erubenst2

How do I contact the IRS to prove that I submitted my extensin request on time?  They co not answer the phone and there is no email address.  I have proof of mailing.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies