Visitor II

Rental properties in another state

I have owned 2 rental properties in Indiana since 2013 but live in California.  I have never filed an IN state return, but realized this year maybe I should have.  The first year I had income from the rentals was 2015 of $6,037.  I also own 1 rental property in CA.  All the property income/loss have been combined on my CA state return up to this point. Do I need to amend my CA return deducting the IN properties and then file an IN non-resident return for these past years? Also where on turbo tax do you indicate these different State incomes?

1 Comment
Tax Expert

Rental properties in another state

You would file a non-resident Indiana return for the rental income earned there. Any Indiana taxes that you paid as a result, would be credited on your resident state tax return. You would add the additional state tax return under the State Taxes tab and complete the non-resident return first to calculate correctly.

You would need to amend the CA return to list the Indiana taxes paid.

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.