turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File names that begin with ~

Hello

I noticed a bunch of files that start with a ~ at the beginning, along with other files in the folder. Usually the rest of the name of this file is the same as the tax file name. I could try to delete them but am worried that I may lose my latest tax return information.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

They are called tilde files and its a Windows/Computer thing, not directly related to the TurboTax program.  They are basically backup, temporary files that are created while you are using the program.  They are suppose to be removed once you close out of the program completely, but sometimes Windows keeps them around - especially if you don't close out properly.  

They are just backup files, so you should be able to delete them without issue, but you won't be able to delete them with the main file open.  Though, I would wait until you are completely done and have filed your return before you delete anything if you really want to remove them.  Also, try making sure your program is completely closed out and do a computer restart to see if that clears them.

View solution in original post

Thank you. I will certainly try this.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

8 Replies

They are called tilde files and its a Windows/Computer thing, not directly related to the TurboTax program.  They are basically backup, temporary files that are created while you are using the program.  They are suppose to be removed once you close out of the program completely, but sometimes Windows keeps them around - especially if you don't close out properly.  

They are just backup files, so you should be able to delete them without issue, but you won't be able to delete them with the main file open.  Though, I would wait until you are completely done and have filed your return before you delete anything if you really want to remove them.  Also, try making sure your program is completely closed out and do a computer restart to see if that clears them.

Thank you. I will certainly try this.

Best Regards

ED22137
Returning Member

I bought Adobe PDF.  I'm trying to save it to Word and it says my file name in incorrect.  What do I do.

[email address removed]

ED22137
Returning Member

Can you answer my question.  How can I save my PDF turbotax file Word.  It says my file name is incorrect.  I can't see anything wrong with it.

[email address removed]

@ED22137 wrote:

Can you answer my question.  How can I save my PDF turbotax file Word.  It says my file name is incorrect.  I can't see anything wrong with it.

[email address removed]

The tax returns are provided as a PDF.  The PDF can be opened by any compatible PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader - https://get2.adobe.com/reader/

If you want to convert the PDF to Word you will have to obtain an application for that on your own.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Tax returns should be kept as PDF files so they cannot be changed accidentally.   If you save them as a WORD doc then they can be overwritten or deleted. 

RedBarn7

It appears to me that Turbotax no longer deletes these tilde files.  This seems to be a new issue with 2023.  Please fix it.  I don't need extra files floating about.

It's not new.  The ~ is a tilde file.   Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted.  But many years ago Turbo Tax started leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes.  Then you can go back.  Just ignore them.

This FAQ talks about the Tilde files,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2588795-error-102345-or-error-1932147737-occurs-while-opening-a-ta...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies