turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal return (eFile) rejected because of mistake with claiming dependent.

My adult son lives away from home, but my wife and I still provide more (way more) than half his financial support.  He lost his job in early 2017, and was unemployed the rest of the year.  Despite not making enough money to require filing a return, he did so anyway, and got himself a refund. Now, my federal and state e-filings are being rejected because I claimed him as a dependent.  I don't want to mail my returns, because I don't want any "surprises" from the IRS down the road. This mistake is adding over $1100 to what I already owe.  Is there a way around this? Can we file an amended return later on in the year and get the difference refunded? Can my son "un-file" and return his refund, clearing the way for me to legitimately claim him as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Federal return (eFile) rejected because of mistake with claiming dependent.

Did your son make less than$4,050? If not, then you won't be able to claim him. If he did make less than that, then he would have to amend his tax return and remove his exemption in order for you to claim him.

The amending process takes a long time (up to 16 weeks). Mailing your return would be required if you plan on claiming his exemption before his amended return is complete. You won't be able to efile. See some other useful links below.

Who can I claim as a dependent?

Does my dependent have to live with me?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies