turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TN
Returning Member

Can I UNCLAIM the American Opportunity Tax Credit from 2016 taxes?

We claimed the AOC on 2016 taxes for two students not fully understanding the credit terms.  Both students were high school students taking dual enrollment classes and both rec'd 1098T forms for a small amount paid to the community college. We followed Turbotax instructions for entering 1098T info without realizing it would count as 1 of the 4 eligible tax credit years. Since they haven't begun college yet we would like to remove the small AOC credit from 2016 and so that we can have the 4 tax years AOC claim eligibility for when they are actually college undergraduate students.  We would owe the IRS the difference since we received a tax refund that year. Can we amend using the 1040X form?  And do we include interest with our payment?  I hate to lose the year of eligibility over such a small amount that was actually claimed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Bees
Level 7

Can I UNCLAIM the American Opportunity Tax Credit from 2016 taxes?

Looks like you can amend your return for that year to correct the issue.  Don't worry about any interest due on the amount-the IRS will bill you.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies