turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accessing previous returns

So Turbotax is holding our previous returns hostage? We have to pay to get access? Hilarious.

Bye bye Turbotax. Will never use again and will discourage as many people as possible from using.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Sorry, but you can't expect TTX to store your files for free for years.

If you download your tax returns as a PDF file EVERY YEAR, right after you file has been accepted, then you never have to worry about it.   They are always available in the year you file..up until mid-October.   Then Back-Them-Up off computer too. (Hundreds of people have computers crash with no backup every year...then what?)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

This doesn't solve the problem of being unable to access previous year returns.  It will not allow me to upgrade to view them unless I have weeks to spend waiting for the IRS.  

The exact instructions will vary depending on the status of your 2018 TurboTax Online return (select one):

@bmontonera 

IF you used the "FREE" version in a prior year, then you must upgrade...and PAY for PLUS (or higher version) in the exact-same UserID account that you used in the prior year you are attempting to print now.

IF you switched accounts between the years  (should not do that unless you divorce, separated, or get married between tax filings.....or start doing MFS tax returns)....then you must have a paid-for 2018 tax account (PLUS or higher), and then you have to call Customer Support to get the other account unlocked:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Every year, before mid-October, print a copy of your current year tax return and save it as a tax file and pdf, too.  That way you will have it when you need it for school, a loan, next year’s tax return, etc. without going through a lot of aggravation (and expense)  to get it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899645-how-do-i-save-my-2018-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912544-how-do-i-save-my-2018-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies