turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pah100257

Second home

I live in one state and work in another. I know at 12 months the work city becomes my tax home. Therefore hotel expenses are not deductible. If I by a home in my work city/ state is that deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Second home

Not necessarily true. Owning a 2nd home doesn't automatically make that your tax home, regardless of how long you own it, or live in it.  However, owning a 2nd home, the mortgage interest and property taxes are deductible on the federal return up to a limit. That has nothing to do with your tax home or how long you owned it, or how long you lived in it.

For all personal use real estate property if the combined mortgage outstanding balance on Jan 1 of the tax year is $750K or less, then all mortgage interest paid on all personal use real estate is deductible up to a maximum of $10K of the total mortgage interest paid.

As for property taxes, that's not clear yet. But read section 2 of the IRS notice at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-18-54.pdf for the latest information I am able to find on this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies