turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-MISC from Robinhood, for my Groupon Stock. When putting the description for the "reason for this 1099-MISC," what should I put?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099-MISC from Robinhood, for my Groupon Stock. When putting the description for the "reason for this 1099-MISC," what should I put?

Was the Groupon stock sold? If so, you can simply describe it as a sale of Groupon stock.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No it was a free stock gift for referring a friend on Robinhood in February of 2019

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Enter it as "Other Common Income"

Click Federal

Click Wages & Income

Click “See All Income” if needed

Scroll down (PAST SELF-EMPLOYMENT) to “Other Common Income”

Click “Show more”

Scroll down to “Form 1099-MISC”

Click Start

Enter the 1099-MISC and Continue

On the "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC” screen enter something like “Referral Incentive” and Continue

Select “None of these apply” and Continue

Select “No, it didn’t involve work like main job” and continue through the interview selecting the appropriate answers for a one-time payment 

The amount from the 1099-MISC will be reported as Other income on the 1040 line 7a, not as Self-employment

Labutin

After that I see that $7 from 1099-Misc reported as self-employed income.

I am on H1B visa and can't be self-employed. How can I avoid self-employed record and report 1099-Misc with $7?

I entered mine as "Referral bonus stock" and then recorded the other income as "Prize money." 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

That should work for you. You should see the income on line 8 of schedule 1, part I on your federal tax return if it gets processed correctly.

09wattry

Did you report a capital gain/loss?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

@09wattry

"Did you report a capital gain/loss?" - what is this question in reference to? a 1099-MISC? a coupon or referral bonus?

romdggg

How do I do this on the cd/download desktop version?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies